Monday, February 9, 2009

Brisbane's dubstep scene no longer a snail but a slug

It's been a long time since I was a wide-eyed indie girl in Manchester, the home of drum & bass, who thought that any song lacking guitar was as relevant to me as a foreign language. Three years later in Sydney I found myself dissapointed about not being able to attend a sold-out Rusko sideshow at Spectrum. I am, however, no longer sheltered from the fact that dubstep is becoming big thing in the real world. And despite hiding underground in Brisbane until now the genre finally seems to be coming out of its shell. This is all thanks to a number of talented and interesting young people who won't let Brisbane stop moving in 2009.

Experience Philly's Starkey at the Step Inn on 7 March and see some local talent with the return of Suckafish P Jones of 4zzz's Forcefed Fistfuls supporting.

1 comment:

Owawee said...

Hey,
This came up when I googled "dubstep Brisbane".
Wondering - are there any venues that host dubstep and dnb on a regular basis? I'm about to move there in a couple of months and this would be great info! I am getting worried about the lack of gigs I'm finding online...