Thursday, November 13, 2008

freedom ow

Studying law and journalism (but not enough journalism) full time and working almost full time makes for a very busy Robby. Having survived the academic year, it's high time to extract myself from exam notes and invest in something a little more colourful. I hope it's the beginning of a brilliant blogging career.

I recently had a birthday on which I was lucky enough to be given a whole pile of gorgeous jewellry by designers including Karen Walker, Princess Tina and Limedrop. I was also lucky enough to have in my bank account the funds to pay for the most expensive (although relatively cheap according to many a hipster's standards) item of clothing i have ever purchased - a dress from Carly Hunter's Temporary Shelters collection. I have always been a lover of vintage but I have recently developed a hunger for designer clothing and spend my new found spare time not reluctantly trawling through collections on the internet and starting passionate love affairs with brooches and skirts. Not my first love, but a love nonetheless, is Stretsis, or this sweet thang below.




I'm also excited to say that after quite a dry spell during which all I thought the end of good music was nigh, I have discovered some great albums including Flying Lotus' 'Los Angeles' and Cibo Matto's 'Viva! La Woman'. Also, thanks to the Laneway Fesitval, for which I am eternally grateful (especially after Parklife), I am loving Daedelus' 'Fairweather Friends' EP, Buraka Som Sistema's 'Black Diamond' and El Guincho's 'Alegranza'. I must also commend the SUPERB Laneway lineup that includes one of my all-time favourites STEREOLAB, as well as Four Tet, who's Everything Ecstatic album is keeping me sane on my train ride to work in the mornings.
I always want to talk about how much I love Laneway because it's the most charming, original, intelligent and eclectic festival I've ever been to. Its organisers seem to share all my favourites - having chosen Yo La Tengo to headline in 2006 and Broken Social Scene, who I regrettably missed, to headline in 2007. I definately can't wait until February.


I'm also going to Barsoma this weekend (15/11) to check out Hudson Mohawke. My brother (Prince Nod) is supporting, who is my hero for the week for playing the Cool Kids, MIA and Rye Rye within 20 minutes of each other on his Sunday night radio program on 4zzz. See you there!


No comments: